Do the Worm Bin!
Composting is a great way to reduce the amount of trash a household produces, and it is also really easy!
How do I start a worm bin?
First of all, you need a bin to keep your worms. You can make your own bin or buy one. Watch the video for some tips!
- You need some moist shredded newspaper or cardboard to line the bin.
- Worm bins are very low maintenance. However, keep them away from direct sunlight and in a place where they won’t be exposed to cold temperatures.
- Make sure you provide the worms food scraps to feed on often, but don’t overcrowd the bin.
- Add shredded newspaper or cardboard as needed, making sure there is moisture in the bin. Be sure not to put too much or the worms will drown.
- After a couple months, you will start to notice that the food scraps are turning into dark brown stuff. That brown stuff is the worm castings. This rich and moist material can be used as compost in your garden, providing many great things for the soil and the plants.
Questions about composting?
Take a look at these guides!
Director: David Chai
Host: Alejandro Garcia
Starring: Ricardo Lopez
Composed and Edited by: Mark Wanninger
Show Opening: Mark Wanninger
Green Ninja Theme Music: Eli Rosen
“Do The Worm Bin” Composed and Performed by: Andrew Kang
Vocals: Dina Lalkaka
The Worm Bin Dancers: David Bui, Dylan Dallas, Jake Dallas, Diem Doan, Amit Kumar, Yu Li, Erick Maciel, Philip Martin, Kimberly Mucha, Alisia Munoz, Gizelle Orbino, Kayla Rymes, Darren Rae, Wing Yin Tang, Man Yee Wong, Fiona Herse Woo, Shirin Zarrinkamar
Worm Bin Construction: Andrew Hedges and Jordan Shepard
Special Thanks to our Kickstarter Supporters: Elizabeth Kupfer, Hanbo Wang, Holly Brady, Jackie McLachlan, Jamie Erwine, Jason Lopez, Jean Tenney, Jeanny House, Jemima Jewel, Jeremy Williams, John Noblit